“Talk to me, Goose.” Here are 20 iconic quotes from Top Gun that absolutely apply to life in the horse world.
Each generation has movies that are somehow part of the fabric of their identities. It seems shallow, but it’s true. As a child of the 80s, there are a number of absolutely iconic movies that I would put on this list. Not the least of which is Top Gun. Released in 1986, this is one of those movies I watched over and over again… and again. I can quote it line for line (much to the dismay of all those watching it with me). Yet, somehow, it only recently occurred to me that so many of those famous quotes are things that apply to the world of horses.
Therefore, without further delay, here are 20 lines from Top Gun that apply the horse world:
1. Maverick: I feel the need…
Maverick, Goose: …the need for speed!
2. Iceman: You! You are still dangerous.
3. Carole (you to your horse): Hey, Goose, you big stud!
Goose (my horse): That’s me, honey.
4. Charlie (random horse “trainer” to you): The Pentagon sees to it that I know more than you.
Maverick (you): Well, ma’am, it doesn’t seem so in this case, now, does it?
5. Maverick (trainer): I can’t shoot this son of a b!tc#. Let’s see if we can have a little fun with him.
6. Jester (trainer): That was some of the best flying (riding) I’ve seen yet. Right up to the part where you got killed (fell off).
7. Iceman (egotistical competitor): You need any help?
Maverick (you): With what?
Iceman: You figured it out yet?
Maverick: What’s that?
Iceman: Who’s the best pilot (rider).
Maverick: You know, I think I can figure that one out on my own.
8. Charlie (your good friend after a bad ride): I’ll have what he’s having. Hemlock, is it?
9. Air Boss Johnson (neighbor referring to kids at the barn): Two of your snot-nose jockeys did a fly-by on my tower at over 400 KNOTS! I want somebody’s butt, I want it now, I’ve HAD IT!
10. Maverick (getting ready to enter the show ring): I think I’ll go embarrass myself with Goose.
11. Iceman: You two really are cowboys.
Maverick: What’s your problem, Kazansky?
Iceman: You’re everyone’s problem. That’s because every time you go up in the air, you’re unsafe. I don’t like you because you’re dangerous.
Maverick: That’s right! Ice… man. I am dangerous.
12. Goose (your reasonable friend): No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick (you): Sorry, Goose, but it’s time to buzz the tower.
13. Goose: Come on, Mav, do some of that pilot (rider) sh*t!
14. Hollywood: Gutsiest move I ever saw, Mav.
15. Slider: Crashed and burned! Huh, Mav?
Maverick: You stink!
16. Maverick (you, looking at the show prizes): This is what I call a target-rich environment.
Goose: You live your life between your legs, Mav.
17. Iceman (trainer to you): Maverick, it’s not your flying (riding), it’s your attitude. The enemy’s dangerous, but right now you’re worse. Dangerous and foolish. You may not like who’s flying (riding) with you, but whose side are you on?
18. Merlin (you to your horse): What are you doing? You’re slowing down, you’re slowing down!
19. Charlie (your friends/parents/whomever to you): You’re not going to be happy unless you’re going Mach 2 with your hair on fire.
20. Maverick (in the warmup pen or in a rail class): That son of a b!tc# cut me off!
Did we miss any? Let us know!
Autor DeAnn Sloan