You should follow different rules for personal imports of animals and animal products into Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales).

You should check the current topical issues like diseases for your import.

You need to use the Import of Products, Animals, Food and Feed System (IPAFFS) for imports of:

  • live animals
  • products of animal origin (POAO) subject to veterinary checks
  • high-risk food and feed not of animal origin (HRFNAO)
  • germplasm (also called germinal products)
  • animal by-products not intended for human consumption subject to veterinary checks

Documents you need

Health certificates must accompany live animals, including equines, animal products and HRFNAO imported to Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), the Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

In some cases, you will also need:

  • an import licence or authorisation
  • a commercial document
  • to meet some other legal requirements, like those controlling the trade in endangered species


You must import HRFNAO from non-EU countries into Great Britain through a border control post (BCP).

Find out which BCP you should use.

Importers should check if their product must be vet checked at a BCP by looking for the CN code for their product in:

Live animals, germplasm, POAO and animal by-products

You must import live animals, germinal products, POAO and animal by-products from non-EU countries into Great Britain through a UK border control post. Find out which BCP you should use.

Importers should check if the CN code for their product is listed in Regulation 2019/2007 to find out if the POAO or animal by-products must be checked at a BCP.

You must use IPAFFS to notify the Great Britain BCP at least one working day before your consignment is due to arrive.

For imports of POAO and animal by-products that do not require veterinary checks at a BCP, there is no requirement to pre-notify a port of the arrival of the consignment.

Health and identity requirements for equines imported or moved to Great Britain via the EU, Norway or Northern Ireland.

Equines imported or moved to Great Britain from a country other than an EU Member State, Norway or Northern Ireland, via the EU, Norway or Northern Ireland, do not need to enter Great Britain via a BCP if:

Read EU guidance for creating a CHED on TRACES NT.

If you cannot prove that the equines you’re importing have passed an animal health inspection at an EU BCP, they must enter Great Britain at a recognised BCP. The BCP needs to have the facilities to carry out identity and physical checks for equines.

An APHA veterinary office will inspect an equine and relevant documentation again if APHA:

  • decide the equine requires another animal health inspection
  • suspect any non-compliance

Check if you need a licence

Some animals and animal products must have an import licence to be imported into Great Britain. Check the list of general licences to see if the licence you need exists.

You must follow the conditions in the licence and check your licence to see if it must also travel with the consignment.

If the general licence you need does not exist, you must either:

  • complete form RM01 to apply for a specific licence for animals (excluding pet dogs, cats or ferrets)
  • complete form IV58 to apply for a specific licence for animal pathogens and products

Where you can import from

You can only bring live animals and animal products into Great Britain from approved:

Some animals and animal products must also come from establishments approved to export to Great Britain.

Getting imports checked at a BCP

Most consignments of animals and animal products imported from non-EU countries must be checked at a BCP. Contact the APHA Animal imports team to find out if your consignment must be checked.

Finding the right BCP

Find a UK BCP that’s approved to check the animals or animal products in your shipment.


You must pay a fee to have your consignment checked at a BCP. Find the fees for checks on live animals at a BCP or contact the product BCP you plan to use for information on the fees you’ll be charged.

Notify the BCP before the consignment arrives

Use IPAFFS to notify the BCP of imports.

If you do not notify the BCP before you import a consignment, you may be charged an additional fee or your checks could take longer.

You must complete part 1 of the Common Health Entry Document (CHED) on IPAFFS and submit this to the BCP of entry one working day before your consignment is due to arrive.

You must make sure the original health certificate travels with the consignment.

When your consignment arrives

When your consignment arrives, port operators may charge you to move it to the BCP.

Official veterinarians or inspectors at the BCP will then check the consignment. This may include a physical check.

The result of the check will be recorded on IPAFFS and officials will give you a completed and validated CHED.

Leaving the BCP

You must not remove your consignment from the BCP or customs clearance area until official inspectors have completed and validated the CHED.

After your consignment leaves the BCP, you must:

  • make sure your consignment goes directly to the destination named on the CHED
  • make sure the original CHED goes with your consignment to its final destination
  • comply with any movement restrictions associated with your import

Transiting live animals through Great Britain

Read guidance about moving food containing animal products from one third country to another third country and transiting Great Britain, known as ‘landbridge’ movements.

Animal welfare when importing live animals

You must make sure you meet animal welfare standards when transporting live animals.

Endangered species

You need to check if your import is on the list of endangered species covered by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). If your import is on the CITES list, you may need to apply for a CITES permit before importing.

Display, laboratory and research animals

You need to follow different rules, known as the Balai Directive, if you’re importing display, laboratory and research animals, including those used in conservation or education programmes.

Contact the APHA Animal imports team for help.

Autor HM Government


Previous articleSome of the best advice I have for training your dog!! It’s counterintuitive… but so true! ✨
Next articleSwainson’s Hawk Takeoff Series – Feathered Photography
Journalist specialized in online marketing as Social Media Manager. I help professionals and companies to become more Internet and online reputation, which allows to give life to the Social Media Strategies defined for the Company, and thus immortalize brands, products and services. I have participated as an exhibitor in various forums nationally and internationally, I am the author of several articles in digital magazines and Blogs.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here